Introduction: Satan's Schemes
If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest.
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
He was a killer from the very start. He couldn't stand the truth because there wasn't a shred of truth in him. When the Liar speaks, he makes it up out of his lying nature and fills the world with lies.
The great dragon was hurled down--that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
Satan, who leads the whole world astray.
We probably realize that advertising promotes consumerism. During today's devotional, pray to see how pervasive and incipient this message is and to recognize the lies being sold to us everyday.
1.You Are Being Targeted
Debt is the most successfully marketed product in history!
- 1910: Sears catalog says, "Buying on credit is folly"; Ford banned the use of credit;
- 1950: Diner's Club - created a convenient way to pay at restaurants
- 1958: Bank of America mailed 60,000 people the "BankAmericard" - renamed "VISA" in 1976;
- 2010: Credit Card industry makes $150 Billion in gross revenue/year!
Our grandparents considered debt a sin (Jesus prayed "forgive us our debts!")
What changed? Were they wrong? Have you started to believe that living with debt is "okay"?
2. The Father Of All Lies!!!
As a result of this mass marketing campaign, we tend to believe a number of lies:
- LIE: Debt helps us manage our wealth.
TRUTH: Debt puts you on the wrong side of the wealth equation. Debts increase the same way that investments increase: compound interest.
- LIE: Calculating the monthly payment helps me determine if I can afford to buy an item.
- TRUTH: Any salesman trying to talk about financing and monthly payments is trying to get you to not think about how much the item actually costs but rather LURE you into debt.
- LIE: Credit Cards that offer cash back or rewards save you money.
- TRUTH: You spend about 20% more with a credit card than you would with cash, so unless you are getting 20% back, you are not saving any money!
What lies have you listened to?